Monday, July 12, 2010

Sprouting Lentils

Sprouting is a great way to increase the nutritional quality of foods. When foods are sprouted, they become "extra live" as I like to say. And by now I'm assuming most people viewing this blog understand the importance of eating raw, "living" foods. Sprouting increases the protein availability, amount of vitamins and minerals as well as the enzyme levels of the food. I can't say that I myself have gotten really into sprouting but Bianca loves sprouted lentils so while I was at her house I took some photos and thought I'd do a post. Sprouting easy and inexpensive though it does take some time so you must be patient. The best foods to sprout are beans, nuts and seeds. Check out this site for more information on sprouting times for different foods.

Steps to Sprouting:
1) Obtain a mason jar, any size you like.
2) Fill jar 1/3 of the way with lentils.
3) Fill to the top with water and let soak for 24 hours in the refrigerator.
4) Turn over in a bowl, letting the water drain out, rinse every 12 hours or so continuing to allow them to drain (as pictured).
5) Wait patiently, they should start sprouting. At the first sight of a sprout you are good to go! They will last up to a week.

<3 Dani

No comments:

Post a Comment