Sunday, November 21, 2010

Hearty Quinoa Breakfast


Hello! Sorry that it has been a while since Dani and I have posted something to all of you! It is kind of funny that I am the first one to post after such a long hiatus because, as you all know, I am not as diligent with the posts as Dani. :-D

Quinoa is such a versatile grain. You can have it for breakfast as a sort of porridge or oatmeal alternative, lunch in a cold tabouli-like dish, or dinner paired with vegetable stir fry. The possibilities are truly endless. Quinoa is an amazing grain, especially because it is packed with complete proteins.

I also put chia seeds in this breakfast. Dani and I recently discovered chia seeds. They are really fun because when you put them with water, they absorb the water and turn into a gel. Here is a link to some of our past chia posts and here is another website you can check out for the health benefits of chia seeds. And yes, these chia seeds, are the same kind that are in Chia Pets!!!

Ingredients:
3/4 cup dry quinoa
2 1/4 cups filtered water
pinch of slivered almonds
2 Tbs chia seeds
pinch of dried, shredded coconut
4 Tbs soymilk, almond milk, rice milk, etc.
berries (optional)

Directions:
1. Place dry quinoa and water in a pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for about 30 min or until all of the water has been absorbed.
2. Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
3. Enjoy!

This is a very hearty, healthy breakfast that will give you all kinds of energy for you day. It's also nice and cozy for these amazing winter months we are heading into. I absolutely love cold weather and rainy days. Dani thinks that I am crazy, but it gives me such a "cuddle up by the fire and read a book" feeling. I love it.

In His name,
Bianca

No comments:

Post a Comment