Monday, December 13, 2010

Bulgur Chili

I am so enjoying being home during this Christmas season. My mom and I completed the interior decorating this afternoon, while my dad and brother took control of the lighting on the house. Which as always, turns out great. We always joke that we're gonna with the lighting contest in town, even though we've never actually entered it. My dad is very proud of his Christmas display on the lawn. Oh, I just love Christmas!

With this chilly winter weather my mom and I are finding lots of delicious soup recipes! Tonight a bulgur chili with cornbread. Never cooked with bulgur before but I will certainly be venturing more into it now. This dinner was such a success, especially the cornbread! I was so excited as I opened up the oven and saw how beautifully it had risen. Never before have I had any success with gluten-free vegan cornbread, until now! I went so far as to say this was my greatest success, only to have my career driven dad come back laughing with, "Even more than college". It was quite funny, as you can tell I get over excited about my cooking at times.
Chili Recipe
1 T grapeseed oil
1 yellow onion
3 cloves of garlic
1 large green bell pepper
1 jalapeno pepper
1 t cumin, chili pepper, paprika
1 pint cherry tomatoes
3/4 C bulgur
1 8oz can tomato sauce
1 15 oz can kidney beans
3 C vegetable broth
Dice the onion, mince the garlic, chop green bell pepper and jalapeno and saute in oil on medium eat. Add spices and let the flavors mingle until the onions are beginning to brown. Add the tomato sauce and halved cherry tomatoes. Next, add the vegetable broth , kidney beans and bulgur. The soup will thicken as the bulgur begins to absorb the liquid so add more broth accordingly.
Cornbread
1 package Bob's Red Mill gluten-free cornbread mix
1-1/2 C almond milk, unsweetened vanilla
2 T ground flaxseed
3/4 C water
In a small container, mix the flaxseed with the water and let sit. It will begin to thicken in a few minutes, this is the egg-replacer. Now, I combine the cornbead mix with the almond milk and then folded in the flaxseed mixture. However, it was very difficult to mix them thoroughly this way. Next time I would try combining the almond milk with the flaxseed mixture then folding in the flour. Spray a 9x9in baking pan with non-stick spray and lay in the dough. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.
Like the Christmas decor? We've got it everywhere!

Merry Christmas,
<3 Dani

No comments:

Post a Comment