Monday, February 28, 2011

Sushi Night

Tonight my mom and I had a total sushi night! Though my mom failed to actually try my sushi, she tends to get weary of my cooking, but I will say this sushi combination wasn't something I would highly recommend. I am more putting it on the blog for the idea of a sushi night and everything that goes along with it. I am really into themes with my cooking, it makes it so much more fun! I love exploring foods by cultures!

Not to change the topic or anything but one thing I am learning is that NOTHING can separate me from the love of God I have found in Jesus. And that I have in my mom. She is such a strong woman, who has carried me through so much. Her ability to let me cry when I need it but then to say to me, "Okay it's time to laugh" and make me laugh so easily is the best medicine! This is a relationship blessed by the Lord. We really enjoyed each other tonight. Dinner time at home here with my mom and Dad becomes such a laugh, especially when some of my weirder food choices are involved.

My mom offers her input towards dinner and tonight she made a delicious tea. Sticking with our Japanese theme she got creative and combined green tea with ginger tea. I bought that tea kettle and cup when I was in Japan on a missions trip a few years back. It was fun to bring it out tonight. Very nice touch to the meal mom :)

Always edamame with sushi guys, it's a Japanese favorite and is so easy when you buy a bag at Trador Joe's or Costco! Simple heat, or don't if you like it cold like we do and serve with an empty bowl for the pods! To make sushi, check out my previous post of sushi here. The roll I made tonight had steamed asparagus and baked sweet potato. I totally understand why anyone else would think it was wierd, I wouldn't make it again or anything but I ate it. I was craving sweet potato and sushi so I thought I'd try them together, lol. What's the fun of cooking if it never gets a little off course?!

A little more on course, sushi requires soy sauce. The healthiest choice would be Nama Shoyu which is raw unpasteurized soy sauce but it's pretty pricey. If you can tolerate wheat then Tamari, gluten-free soy sauce is great. I've been reading that there's some controversy over Bragg's Liquid Amino's, I still use it occasionally, there's controversy over everything, but I will say that I don't know enough to make a decision quite yet on exactly what I think about it. Whatever soy sauce you choose it is delicious to add freshly grated ginger! So that was a wrap up of our sushi dinner!

This whole sister in Christ thing is for real too guys. Bianca has covered me in love and held me together when things have gotten so rough. She may have slacked on the blog a bit guys, but she never slacks on me or our friendship. God has blessed me with amazing people in my life and for that I am so thankful. May I say too that my faithful follower James is an amazing friend who has been there for me through so much. THANK YOU!

"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:38-39

In His Love,
<3 Dani

2 comments:

  1. I've never tried edamame cold before.. maybe I will now someday. alsoo.... that teapot is so sweet! how come I've never seen it before? has that crazy handle coming off the side!

    -James

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post made me smile :-) James- I can't imagine eating edamame NOT cold; it's so good, you have to try it! Dani, I was just going through your recipe posts with my mom and she was so inspired. She was wondering where you get your recipes from- are there any special books or websites you'd suggest? She was saying it's just amazing that you've managed to teach yourself how to be a natural chef when people go to college for that! Love you. -Al

    ReplyDelete