Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Valentine's and Mediterranean Saute

Ryan and I made a great dinner together last night for Valentine's day. I wouldn't say this was my best meal but I also didn't have all of the spices required. You should have seen me rummaging through Ryan's spice racks desperate for turmeric and allspice, but no luck. There was organic dill which was a plus, if you like dill I would try making this saute. I remember Bianca and I made it before and it came out deliciously dilly. I myself love dill and all Mediterranean flavors at that. The variety of vegetables in this dish is quite nice though. I myself would never have thrown green beans, cauliflower, red bell pepper and eggplant together but they seem to work perfectly with one another!

Recipe
1 cup chickpeas
1 cup chopped eggplant
1 red bell pepper, chopped
handful fresh green beans, cut into 1'' pieces
1-2 cups chopped cauliflower florets
1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
2 tablespoons tomato paste
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon dry dill (or small bunch of chopped fresh)
1 tablespoon dry oregano (or small bunch chopped fresh)
1 tablespoon dry mint (or small bunch chopped fresh)
1 1/2 teaspoons allspice
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 lemon, juiced and zested
1 cup vegetable stock or water
Olive oil for sauteing
Salt and pepper to taste
Heat a little bit of oil and saute the garlic, onion and cauliflower for about 5 minutes. Add the eggplant, bell pepper and green beans. Continue sauteing on medium heat. Add the water or veggie broth, the spices and lemon. Add the tomato paste and let cook for about 15 minutes. Serve over long grain brown rice.

Don't skip out or go light on any of the spices, they are necessary and really make this saute what it is. My mistake tonight, but luckily it was still yummy. And here I am with my first set of beautiful RED ROSES from my love. He always makes me feel so special.

Happy Valentine's Day,
<3 Dani

No comments:

Post a Comment