Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Comforting Breakfast Quinoa

Today was sadly my last day at Bauman College in the classroom. I am moving back to Santa Barbara this weekend and will be officially enrolled in the Distance Learning Program, but it will great because I can move through the curriculum at my own pace! Today, I mulling over everything I have learned in the last few weeks and I realized one thing; there is always a need to be learning, always. In life of course, but specifically with nutrition. You'll never know it all and you'll never have it completely figured out. There is so much to know about our bodies and how to fuel them properly. Even more, there is such a need for every person to learn for themselves because of how individualized our bodies are. Plus trying to combat all the constant progression with the food industry and factory farming that's always in the wrong direction. All in all I am so excited to be back on the learn...and full speed ahead!

Today's cooking demo was done by Tracy Young and was absolutely delicious! I came home raving about it to my mom. This was by far the best quinoa breakfast I have ever had. Tracy was telling us she chose this breakfast bowl because she loves comfort foods, especially warm and cozy breakfasts. It was perfect for this rainy and gloomy day.

Recipe
1/2 C quinoa, rinsed and soaked overnight
1 C water
1/2 T coconut oil
1/2 C oats, rinsed and soaked overnight
1 T blackstrap molasses
1/4 C chopped walnuts
1/4 C raisins
1 t ground flax
Place the quinoa in a saucepan with the water and coconut oil, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until water is absorbed, probably about 5 minutes or so. Remove from heat and add the oats, molasses, and chopped nuts. Stir until light and fluffy. Serve steaming hot. Sprinkle raisins and ground flax seeds on top.

Soaking grains allows enzymes to break down and neutralizes phytic acid so the digestion process is sped up and the nutrients more readily absorbed. Difficult proteins are partially broken down into simple components that become available for the body. Now, soaking the grains is not necessary for the recipe for it is the healthiest option here. It will take a lot longer to cook and you will want to add the oats in with a little more water during the last few minutes of the cooking process if you don't soak. I haven't become organized enough to soak my grains all the time but I really am going to work on this!!

Enjoy,
<3 Dani

No comments:

Post a Comment