Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Lemony Split Pea Dish

I really love split peas and I especially love the yellow variety though they are much harder to find. While I am visiting here in Santa Cruz I am doing all my shopping at New Leaf Markets and they just so happen to have them! And they were on sale, I bought a ton and wanted to do something new with them. I found this recipe with ginger and garlic and thought it sounded delightful. Split peas are certainly not everyone's favorite but if you like them try this dish cause it came out wonderful.
Bold
It was quite funny actually because my mom and dad both thought they it was corn! I could have fooled them...up until the first bite of course :)

Recipe
2 C yellow split pleas
4 C water or low-sodium vegetable broth
1-2 T grapeseed oil
3 cloves of garlic
2 T finely chopped ginger
juice from one lemon, freshly squeezed
cilantro
sea salt and black pepper

In a large pot on the stove, heat the olive oil and saute the garlic for a few minutes. Add the split peas, mix around a bit then add the water or broth. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for around 30 minutes. Half way through add the ginger and lemon. After a half hour, check the split peas they should be done but if they are too crunchy let them go ten more minutes. There may be extra liquid so drain once they are well cooked. Finely chop the cilantro and mix in, a handful is plenty. Season with sea salt and black pepper. Enjoy!

Split peas are a great way to get healthy lean protein as well as dietary fiber. In a one cup serving of split peas you will get 16g of fiber and 16g of protein! That's 65% of the daily recommended intake of fiber a day. That is outrageous and with vegetable proteins you bypass all the saturated fat and cholesterol of animal proteins. This dish is sounding really good now, huh? You should also check out my infamous Split Pea Soup!

Enjoy,
<3 Dani

No comments:

Post a Comment