Monday, March 7, 2011

Sweet Potato Quinoa Stuffed Bell Pepper

I was so proud of how this turned out! My dad was in the kitchen as I was preparing it and taking multiple pictures, he is so amused by me. It is an odd thing to watch someone take pictures of there food, I get looks of confusion all the time. But I love cooking and this blog means so much to me. I really believe God is going to use it, I mean He already is but in a bigger way in the future. It was with His leading that I started the blog and with His timing it will be something.

This stuffed bell pepper turned out so pretty and it was delicious as well, double whammy! The sweet potato quinoa was actually previously made, I was getting crafty with leftovers, so feel free to make beforehand and refrigerate.

Recipe
Sweet Potato Quinoa
1 C quinoa
1 sweet potato
1 T grapeseed oil
1/2 yellow onion
2 cloves garlic
1/2 lemon, freshly squeezed
2 t paprika
Bake the sweet potato in the oven at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes or until soft all the way through. Cook the quinoa as usual, 1 C quinoa to 2 C water in a pot, bring to a boil then simmer on low for about 20 minutes or until all the water is absorbed. Dice onion, mince garlic and saute in oil, add lemon juice and paprika. Once onions are browning they are finished. Combine sauteed onions in a large bowl with quinoa. Remove the sweet potato from the oven once it's fully cooked, the skin should peel off nicely and then you can slice up the flesh. Add to the quinoa and onions and mix well, mashing in the sweet potato.

To assemble into the bell peppers:
Cut around the stem of the bell pepper as shown in the picture below. Pop off top and scoop out all the seeds inside and on the stem.
Gently scoop the sweet potato quinoa into the bell pepper. Place the top back on and press down to make sure it settles. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for a half hour. Check the peppers at this point to see if the quinoa in the middle of the bell pepper is warm, if so and the bell peppers are starting to darken they're almost done. I turned my oven all the way up and broiled the peppers for 5 more minutes so they got crispy on the top!

Enjoy,
<3 Dani

No comments:

Post a Comment