Saturday, March 5, 2011

Bruschetta and Casserole

As I read an email this morning from a dear friend of mine I was struck by the love of God. Not only am I experiencing His love in a whole new way right now but His people are LOVING me so much. I am so well supported and literally feel like I am being held up by prayer right now. So thank you everyone! Especially, Jenna who's encouraged me with morning prayers, you are true sister in the Lord.

I began telling my mom about Jenna and her family, whom I babysit for regularly. I remembered that she had shared a great easy meal idea with me. And who loves easy more than me?! My mom thought it sounded delicious and wanted to make it for tonight. I prepared a fresh bruschetta, that is mixed with steaming hot brown rice and salmon.
Bruschetta is a traditional Italian appetizer served over thinly sliced bread and then baked. But it has become quite versatile and serves as a great flavoring for this casserole. It contains 6 ingredients and requires only blending in a food processor!

Bruschetta
5 roma tomatoes
10-12 big leaves of basil
1 clove of garlic
couple sliced of sweet onion
1-2 T extra virgin olive oil
1 t balsamic vinegar
Chop tomatoes and throw in a food processor with all other ingredients. Process well.

Casserole
1 can pink salmon*
2 C brown rice
1-1/2 C prepared bruschetta
If the rice is really steaming hot then you can simple add the salmon and the bruschetta and serve immediately. The heat from the rice will warm the whole dish. And the great thing about doing it this way is that the bruschetta is raw and you will maintain a good amount of the nutrients! If not, bake in the oven on 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes. Top with black pepper and a bit of salt.
*This recipe is also great with black beans so substitute with 1 15oz can black beans if you feel like eating vegan for the night!

I served this to my parents with asparagus tonight and they were well pleased! Now, to make it even healthier of course you could always use fresh salmon. We had the canned salmon so we used it up. You may notice that this is my first recipe with fish too! I know, I am embarking into new things but keeping it really healthy. My journey into holistic nutrition is really just beginning as I am about to become a student at Bauman College, a Holistic Nutrition and Culinary Arts School! I AM SO EXCITED! More on that to come.

Hope you enjoy,
<3 Dani

p.s. Recipe courtesy of Jenna Hayden, thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment