Thursday, March 10, 2011

Philly Cheesestake

You're probably thinking, 'what? Philly Cheesetake' has Danielle gone off her rocker? And I use my full name because it could be that serious. This is obviously one of those clever reinventions of our nasty American favorites. James and I actually made this meal for his parents way back when I first began my venture into holistic nutrition. You can tell it's summer by our tans, especially James'! This was such a fun evening sitting outside on the patio of their beautiful backyard. His parents were so blessed and I was just so happy to be able to cook like this for anyone! I still remember James taking his first bite and seeing his face just made laugh. He got a bite with a really strongly marinated mushroom. We all agreed the mushrooms were a little too strong so I would go lighter on the Bragg's, start out with only half of what the recipe says. For the 'cheese' you could halve the recipe because there was a lot left over, unless you think you'll end up using it, I'm just horrible with leftovers, I am getting better though :)
Recipe

Steak
In a bowl, add:
2 Portobello mushrooms, sliced
1/2 C extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 C Bragg's, this is where you should start with only 1/4 C
2 t cumin
2 t coriander
Set aside and let marinade, only needs an hour at the most.

Vegetables
In a separate bowl, add:
1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
1 C broccoli, chopped
1/2 C white onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 t sea salt
1/4 C extra virgin olive oil
Set aside and let marinade.

Cheese
In a blender, add:
1 C pine nuts
1/2 C sunflower seeds
2-3 T raw apple cider vinegar
1/4 C onion
1 t sea salt
1/2 C water
Blend until creamy. You can also use a food processor.

To make the Philly Cheesesteak, start with a whole Swiss chard leaf. First spread a layer of the cheese, then the steak and top with the vegetables! Roll and eat!
Try this, try this, it was fun to make and really yummy!

Blessings,
<3 Dani

No comments:

Post a Comment