Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Nonna's Minestrone

Hello everyone! This is a continuation of the vegetable broth that I posted a couple of weeks ago. Growing up, my grandmother (who is from Italy) would make the most amazing minestrone. When I asked her how she made it, she told me "Just throw in whatever you have with some spices"...I wish it were that simple. I wanted to try and make a minestrone that tasted like her's since it brings back so many fond memories from my childhood. You can really use any vegetables in this kind of soup, but I think that the leek, zucchini and stewed tomatoes are the most important.

Ingredients:
3 Tbs olive oil
2 leeks, prepared and chopped (see broth post for directions)
1 onion, chopped
6 cups vegetable broth
1 large can of Italian stewed tomatoes
2 zucchini, sliced
3 carrots, sliced
3 stalks of celery, chopped
2 cups spinach, cleaned and chopped
3/4 cups white beans (any kind: cooked or canned)
3/4 cups barley, rinsed and uncooked
Bunch of fresh, chopped parsley (don't leave this out), 2 bay leaves, basil, thyme, sprig of rosemary, a few cloves, salt and pepper

Directions:
1. Sauté the leeks and onion in a saucepan until they turn golden-brown.
2. Combine all ingredients in a large pot, except for the barley and beans. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
3. Cover and simmer until most vegetables start falling apart without your needing to crush them - about 3 hours. Add the beans and barley in the last hour.
4. Remove cloves and bay leaves (if you can find them) and the rosemary sprig. Crush the vegetables in the soup with a potato masher.
5. Serve hot with a nice hunk of fresh bread.


My first attempt came out a little too thick. My grandmother's was much thinner. But, I must say, the flavors and the smell reminded me a those days that I would sit at my Nonna's kitchen table as a little girl with a big bowl of her minestrone sitting in front of me. So I definitely think that it was a success...let me know what you think :-)

Love,
Bianca


No comments:

Post a Comment