Saturday, August 28, 2010

Dijon Vinaigrette

This is my new favorite salad dressing, if you like dijon mustard then you'll love it too! I have tried many different brands and by far Full Circle Organics Spicy Brown Mustard is my favorite! They carry it at Ralph's, Raley's and Knob Hill markets. Now, you can obviously just use whatever oil you normally use, I just bought Udo's oil blend so I wanted to use that but flax seed or olive oil would work great too. The recipe always comes out best with fresh herbs as well but sometimes we must survive with what we have, I only had fresh basil on hand this time. This makes a very small amount so double it if you're not living solo like me.

Recipe
1/4 C Udo's oil blend, or oil of your choice
2 T lemon juice
1 t apple cider vinegar
1 t honey
1/2 t dijon mustard
1 T fresh basil, chopped, or 1/2 t dried
1 T fresh thyme, chopped, or 1/2 t dried
dash of sea salt

A visiting missionary from Vancouver, Canada who serves the Lord with much fervor and passion for seeing people live well and healthy spent time talking with me yesterday and praying. It was such a sweet time hearing what the Lord wanted to tell me and just receiving from Him.

It was funny because he began talking to me about this Biblical principle that there are some natural or even medicinal ways that God can use to heal us. But it's by His wisdom in these areas alone that we can find true health. He pointed out in 1 Timothy that Paul tells Timothy to drink a little wine for his stomach ailments. He could have just said to keep praying and praying, but he didn't, he said to drink some wine. Literally, this verse tells us that wine is good for the stomach and illnesses but the larger biblical principle here is that God may have other things in mind to help us.

This was remarkable to me because I would have simply read right over that verse not thinking too much into it, but after hearing him put it in that way it is so clear. This may seem so simple but I have been having a hard time taking all of these supplements and really wanting to be completely dependent on Him alone, of course this man had no idea when he began talking to me about this. This verse made me realize that I am being completely dependent on Him! It's only through His wisdom that I have been able to get so healthy through these natural ways. He gave me so much reassurance and comfort through this verse. I hope like me it can give you a biblical backbone for holistic health, because our God is holistically minded. He wants us all whole and well in mind, body and spirit.

"No longer only drink water, but use a little wine for your stomach's sake and your frequent infirmities." 1 Timothy 5:23

Even funnier, Krissy called me later so see if I wanted to sit out on the porch with her and drink wine!

Be well and please drink a little wine, make sure it's organic because apparently there is a toxic sort of sulfur dioxide that occurs in non-organic wines. This man really had a lot to teach me, not what I was expecting when I went to get prayer, God always works in these funny ways.
<3 Dani

2 comments:

  1. Dan- How long do your homemade dressings usually keep? I'm getting ready to make the lemon herb one from Hallelujah, but I'm not sure whether I'll be able to go through the full serving myself...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say 2 weeks at the most if you use dried herbs. You could always give some to your mom :)

    ReplyDelete