Thursday, August 26, 2010

Pickled Beets

My nan and I both love beets. She prefers them pickled so I found this Savory Pickled Beets recipe and made them for us to enjoy this week. These were fun and simply, just the way I like it :) Now, you can actually can these but I don't know how to do that so I just put them in a leftover jar I had sitting around. Always whats simple with me :)

Recipe
2 large beets, boiled and peeled
half a yellow onion
2/3 C water
1/3 C white vinegar
1/3 C apple cider vinegar
1/2 t dill seed
1/2 t coriander seed
1/2 t whole peppercorns
1/2 t yellow mustard seed
1 bay leaf
pinch of salt
Place all ingredients in a jar, secure the lid on tight and let pickle for at least two days. Now, I tend to like apple cider vinegar but I understand others don't. If you are one of them I would use mostly white vinegar and add a few T of apple cider vinegar.

This morning as I was spending time with the Lord this passage really struck me:
"Therefore consider the goodness and severity of God: on those who fell, severity; but toward you, goodness, if you continue in His goodness. Otherwise you will also be cut off. And they also, if they do not continue in unbelief, will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again." Romans 11:22-23
As I was considering His goodness, His holiness, how nothing we do can compare to that but that He teaches us and allows us to be partakers of that holiness. This is incredible. We get to be holy like God is holy! It's not about what we think is right or good but only what He says his truly good. And for those who have fallen and make their own way the right way He can bring them back, this is so easy for Him. Don't lose faith if you're praying for fallen believers they could come back at any second. Hold tight and keep praying!
I love how God uses all these parallels with nature so we can easily understand things. I had just asked my Nan what grafting was this weekend and then he led me to this verse. Previously I would have read right through this not knowing what the heck grafting was. For those like me, grafting is where they take a branch from a tree that has been bearing fruit for years and fuse it with a new baby tree. The branch becomes a part of the tree and they come into alignment with one another to bear good fruit! Isn't that a great picture of what happens when God grafts fallen believers back to the body of Christ? Come on, that is so good, just picture God bringing back your fallen friends into His goodness and raising them up to bear good fruit again. Then pray with a full heart of faith :)

In His love,
Dani

No comments:

Post a Comment