Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Spinach Asparagus Quiche

If I haven't already mentioned it, Bianca and I are training for a marathon in November! We're very excited...especially Bianca! Last Saturday we ran our first long run together, 10 miles through Nicene Marks State Park, it was so beautiful. Apparantly replenishing your body within the hour after finishing your run is very important so I pre-made this quiche full of protein from the tofu and spinach. Bianca wasn't expecting much at all and was quite surprised by how sweet and delicious it was! She said it was my best dish yet!!! I think the key is a really sweet onion, I had bought a Maui sweet onion fresh from the farmer's market that I used. The crust was a store made gluten-free crust that was also amazing and no one would ever had known it wasn't made with wheat. All around this quiche was wonderful and I highly satisfying after a long run :) So please, give this one a try!
Recipe
1 14-oz package silken tofu
1 pound asparagus, cut into 1in pieces
2 pounds fresh spinach
1 sweet onion, diced
3 garlic cloves
12 basil leaves, chopped
1/2 T fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped
1 T fresh lemon juice
1 T rice vinegar
pinch of hot red pepper flakes
1/2 t sea salt, can add more according to your taste
1 gluten free pie crust

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. In a baking pan lined with cooking spray or a pan on the stove top layer the onion and asparagus and cook until translucent, 10 -12 minutes. You may cook the vegetables in a little olive oil to caramelize them. In a separate little bowl mince the garlic and mix with the chopped basil, thyme, red pepper flakes and salt. Blend the tofu with the lemon and rice vinegar in a food processor adding in the garlic mixture, careful not to over-process, as soon as the mixture is smooth it's done. Cook the spinach in boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Drain and mix with the onions, asparagus and tofu mixture in a large bowl. Gently fold into the pie crust and bake uncovered for 45-50 minutes.
I have moved into my new room in Santa Barbara at the Cohen's home and I just love it. But one problem, there will probably less cooking and less pictures because I do not have a camera of my own. We will do what we can though to keep up the posts though!

Enjoy,
<3>

No comments:

Post a Comment