Friday, August 27, 2010

Make Your Own Vegetable Broth

Now that I am done with my summer classes, I have been able to do some cooking for my family. I decided that I wanted to try my hand at making my own vegetable broth. So, I went to the Santa Cruz farmer's market and got a bunch of vegetables to make the broth. It is all very easy and quite flavorful!

What you will need:
6 large carrots, peeled and chopped
small bunch of celery, chopped
small bunch of parsley, chopped
4 onions, (white, yellow, purple, etc), chopped
2 leeks, chopped
3 bay leaves
2 tsp dried leaf marjoram
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 1/2 gallons cold water



Directions:
1. All of the chopping is pretty simple, but make sure to chop big pieces of everything. Going into this I did not know how to prepare leek. Here is a tutorial that is very helpful.

2. Throw everything into a pot of cold water and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer uncovered for 1 hour, skimming off any foam that comes to the surface. Do not stir and do not allow to boil again.

3. I skipped this step, but if you want a really clear broth, line a strainer with a double thickness of cheesecloth and set over a large bowl. Strain stock through the cheesecloth, pouring slowly so that you do not mix up the sediments. I just poured my broth through a strainer because I do not mind the sediments.

4. Discard the remains (I cringe at this part, but there is really no flavor left in anything)

5. Refrigerate or store in the freezer in small portions.
In my next post you will get to see how I used the broth...surprises surprises
Love,
B


1 comment: